The deadline for applications to the Student Design Award 2017 has now passed.
All entries must be submitted digitally via the submissions site. Entries submitted in any other way, including by email or hard-copy, will not be accepted.
Entries must supplied in the following format:
- 5mm bleed
- Ideally colour managed to ISO Coated 39 or ISO Uncoated 29 (optional)
- Trim and crop marks to be included
- Maximum file size 5 MB
Please include the front cover only on the first page of your PDF and a full cover spread (front, spine and back cover) on the second page of your PDF.
Please use the design template and cover copy supplied on the main competition pages.
Shortlisted entrants will be notified in writing by Thursday, 27 April 2017 and invited to resubmit their entry following feedback and further art direction from the Penguin/Puffin Art Directors. The closing date for the shortlisted entrants' resubmissions is Friday 12 May 2017.
Shortlisted entrants will be required to provide the following submissions for each design entry:
- An A3 board showing the full jacket to scale 1:1.
- The design mocked-up on two copies of the book (which Penguin Random House will supply).
- A short, typewritten text (max. 50—100 words only) submitted as a Word document, explaining the concept for your design.
- An A3 board demonstrating the development of the thought process from the original research to the final concept. A digital copy must also be supplied on USB memory stick or CD.
- A high resolution PDF and Jpeg of the front cover and full cover design without crop marks on USB memory stick or CD.
The sender must prepay all shipping costs, insurance, customs duties and handling fees for all entries.
All shortlisted submissions must be posted in a single shipping container to:
Penguin Random House Student Design Award
By submitting an entry, you agree to the competition Terms and Conditions.
Can I work with an illustrator or photographer?
Yes, but we can only award one prize to the named entrant. Copyright must be cleared for all images used in your cover design and you must include a credit line on the back cover of your design for any 3rd party images used. For example: ‘Cover photograph by Joe Bloggs’.
Should I read the book?
Absolutely! It will really help your concept development.
How do I find out about job opportunities at Penguin Random House?
Visit the careers section on our website https://www.penguinrandomhousecareers.co.uk
Can I enter submissions for more than one category?
Yes, you can enter a maximum of one submission for each category.
I'm not a student but I am an amateur designer - can I enter the Design Award?
No, you must be a student to enter the Design Award. The Penguin Random House Student Design Award is open to anyone studying on a Further Education or Higher Education course (part time or full time) in any subject and at any level. Entrants must be aged 18 or over by July 2017.
For any other questions about the Penguin Random House Student Design Awards please email us.